Haley Smith Basketball, also known as Herndon Optimist Youth House Basketball (HOYHB), is a member sports league of the Herndon Optimist Club of Herndon, Virginia. We are a recreational, developmental league. Our ideal team size is 8 players. Exact team sizes depend on the number of players who register in each division and the number of adults who volunteer to coach so please consider registering as a volunteer coach!
- All boys and girls in grades 1 thru 12 for the 2019-2020 school year are eligible to play in HOYHB games; players are grouped into divisions based on their gender and grade
- There are no geographic or school attendance restrictions
- A player who is a member of a high school basketball team, Herndon Optimist Youth Travel Basketball (HOYTB) team, or another team in the Fairfax County Youth Basketball League (FCYBL) is not eligible to play in HOYHB games
- Players who register after the date of their division's player evaluation session may be wait-listed for a team in their division
Player skills evaluation for grades 1-8 are held in October and the team draft in early-November; for grades 9-12 the player skills evaluation and team draft are held in mid-November (check our "Events Calendar" in early October for specific dates/times/locations). All registered players who attend their player evaluation session will be placed on a team; the evaluation is for the purpose of ensuring evenly distributed skills/experience across the teams in the division. If a player does not attend their player evaluation session, they may be wait-listed for a team or, if there is still space available on a team, will be randomly assigned to a team.
Team practices will begin the week before Thanksgiving. Practices are held in Fairfax County Public School (FCPS) gyms in the Herndon area one night a week for one and half hours between the hours of 5-10pm. We try to schedule the younger kids for earlier practices and the older kids for later practices. The specific practice day, time, and location for each team will be determined after the team draft is complete and we know the size and needs of each division and our gym assignments from Fairfax County.
Regular season games begin in early December. Games for 1st - 8th grade players are approximately one hour long and played on Saturdays between 8am-8pm at a Herndon or Sterling Elementary or Middle School. Games for 9th - 12th grade players are approximately one hour long and played on Sundays between 1-8pm at Herndon Middle School or 3-7pm at the Herndon Community Center (Herndon High School is undergoing renovation and not available for community use).
The regular season concludes with playoff and championship games starting in mid-February and going through mid-March for 1st - 8th grade players. Playoff and championship games are held in February for 9th - 12th grade players.
- Registration Fee: $100 (Multi-Player Family Fee: $90 for 2nd player; $80 for 3rd player)
- Player Reversible Game Jersey: $25
- Late Registration Fee: $10 for registrations received on or after November 1, 2019
- Returned Check Fee: $20
Registration Fees cover the cost of equipment for coaches and the gym, county gym use fees, game official fees, and sports league insurance. All the coaches and league board members are unpaid volunteers.
Player must provide own game shorts/socks/shoes and practice shirt/shorts/socks/shoes.
Players and their parent will be required to sign a Code of Conduct. Violations of the Code of Conduct may result in player and/or parent suspension from attending games and, if the violation is egregious or repeated, removal from the league with no refund of fees. For more information on the league’s Code of Conduct, click HERE to access the Code of Conduct Agreement.
Registration Fee Payment Options
- Credit/Debit Card
- Scholarship (Fairfax County Residents Only; Player Game Jersey payment is still required)
- Head Coach Fee Waiver (Only one child per Head Coach; Player Game Jersey payment is still required)
Registration Fee Refunds
- If a player is selected for a high school or HOYTB team, the Player Fees will be refunded if Registrar is notified prior to house basketball team draft
- If a player is wait-listed and not placed on a HOYHB team prior to the first HOYHB regular season game in December, the Player Fees will be refunded
- If a player withdraws and notifies Registrar prior to the first HOYHB regular season game in December, the Player Fees, less a $20 processing fee and $25 cost of the game jersey, will be refunded
- Returned Check Fees will not be refunded
Base Cost: $125.00
Late date/fee: 11/01/2019$10.00
born between: 10/02/1999 and 10/01/2013
In Grades: 1 to 12 for 2019-20 School year